The Australasian Chapter of the International Geosynthetics Society (ACIGS) is excited to share a wide range of awards and opportunities that are available to students.
Geosynthetics are one of the most rapidly growing areas of the civil and environmental engineering professions. For students, this means great job prospects and career opportunities. Our organization is seeking to connect with these students to help them realise these opportunities. We recognize that the students of today will be the ones solving the industry challenges of tomorrow.
Below is a short list of the opportunities for students to get involved right away.
- Free ACIGS Student Membership – It costs students nothing to join our organization. In return you get access to a worldwide network of professionals, two journals, reduced cost of seminar attendance & other benefits – all at no charge. Click the membership tab at the top of the page to join.
- Paid Summer Undergraduate Research Project – In conjunction with our Company Members we have been able to facilitate a Summer Undergraduate Research Project. The project project has a duration of up to 10 weeks. The opportunity comes with the guidance of an academic supervisor and an industry supervisor. Join as a member to recieve emails about future programs or keep a eye out on our LinkedIn page.
- The IGS Student Award $1,000 USD – The Australian chapter is responsible for nominating students from our region for a grant of $1,000USD for travel to the GeoAsia7 conference each year.
- Meet the Professionals Networking Events – We are frequently hosting networking events across Australia, where possible, which will allow students to meet with professionals’ various parts of our industry. Drinks and canapes provided so be on the lookout for an event coming to a city near you.
- ACIGS Photo Competition – Are you handy with a smartphone camera? Our Chapter hosted our first photo competition in 2020. We had a special category for people under 36 year of age making it especially rewarding for student participants. Prizes totaling $1,400 AUD in value were awarded to winners. Keep a eye on our Linkedin page for details of future photo competitions.